So the latest news is that Sting’s taking some time off from TNA, and his current contract is up by the end of the year. TNA wants to sign him to an extension, but Sting may just retire. That said, my personal feeling is WWE needs to make a MAJOR play for the legend, setting up some potential ‘dream’ scenarios.
- In the current Ric Flair storyline, who better to retire him than the Stinger?
- He’d be a lock for the WWE Hall of Fame, a huge Wrestlemania payday, and a DVD with all of his best matches.
- Sting vs. HBK, Sting vs. The Undertaker, Sting vs. HHH, Sting vs. Cena –> I’d pay to see ANY of these.
- The last time The Rock was talking about wrestling another match, Sting was the opponent he wanted. Plus, I can see Austin doing a match with Sting just to stick it to Hogan. Just the POSSIBILITIES of these programs and pay-days should make it worth it to WWE, and hopefully enticing enough for Sting.
- Sting’s biggest complaints with WWE have been its schedule (I’m sure they’d sign him to a reduced Taker/HBK-like schedule, or even a Foley-like one) and raunchy storylines (which TNA is no better with from my POV); I’d like to think these issues could be worked out if both sides realize the benefits.
I really see no negatives at all, and as Sting’s shown in TNA, he’s willing to put over young stars, which could be the ultimate end of his tenure in WWE and a possible retirement match on a grand stage.